jueves, 19 de mayo de 2011

Detained Journalist Released by Iran

VANCOUVER, British Columbia—Missing journalist Dorothy Parvaz has been released by Iranian authorities and was back at her residence in Doha, Qatar.

The Iranian-born Ms. Parvaz, who also has Canadian and American citizenship, works for the Doha-based news agency Al Jazeera. The Doha-based network confirmed Ms. Parvaz's release in an emailed statement.

Ms. Parvaz's fiance, Todd Barker, said she called him early Wednesday from Qatar as she was clearing customs.

"I looked at my phone, saw it was her number and God, it was as unreal as the moment when I got the call that she hadn't been contacted in 24 hours," Mr. Barker told The Canadian Press.

Ms. Parvaz, 39, went missing after leaving Qatar on April 29 for Damascus to cover the anti-government uprising in Syria for Al Jazeera's English-language news network. Syrian authorities said Ms. Parvaz was sent to Iran shortly after her arrival, but Iranian authorities didn't say anything about her whereabouts.

Mr. Barker said Ms. Parvaz told him that she was "treated very well, she was interrogated, but she's fine."

He said Ms. Parvaz would be returning to Canada at some point, but couldn't say when that might be.

"She can't get to Vancouver fast enough, in my opinion," he said.

Al Jazeera said she landed in the Qatari capital on Wednesday on a flight from Iran. It said she wasn't allowed any contact with the outside world while she was detained.

"She has been in contact with her family, and we are with her now to find out more about her ordeal over the last 18 days," an Al Jazeera spokesman said.

The Associated Press couldn't immediately reach officials at Canada's embassy in Kuwait, which handles consular matters for Qatar.

After Ms. Parvaz went missing in Syria, a Facebook page entitled "Free Dorothy Parvaz" was created and attracted about 16,400 followers. Her brother, Dan Parvaz, announced her release in a post on the page early Wednesday.

"While I'm grateful to the Iranian government for her treatment and release, I'm more grateful to all of you." he wrote. "You kept the faith, made phone calls, wrote letters, rallied, watched the media ... and never lost hope."

Mr. Barker said he had no prior indication that Ms. Parvaz would be released and described her phone call as "out of the blue."

"When you don't hear from somebody you love for 19 days ... you don't know if they're dead, don't know if they're alive, you don't know if they're being tortured."

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman, Ramin Mehmanparast, told reporters Tuesday that Ms. Parvaz had committed "violations" by trying to enter Syria with an expired Iranian passport and "planned to work without a press permit and had several passports on her." He offered no details on what had happened to her in Iran.

In Syria, the government of President Bashar Assad has banned most outside journalists and placed strict controls on the few media outlets remaining in the country.

The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said about 20 local and international journalists have been assaulted or detained in Syria or expelled from the country since the protests against Assad broke out in March.

Ms. Parvaz previously worked for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and obtained a master's degree from the University of Arizona.

vancouver british columbia, doha qatar, parvaz, iranian authorities, syrian authorities, american citizenship, consular matters, mr barker, returning to canada, al jazeera, iranian government, language news, damascus, fiance, ordeal, april 29, news agency, uprising, followers, news network


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario